As a Michigan franchise attorney, I have significant experience in assisting clients with all aspects of franchise law matters. I have advised both franchisors and franchisees regarding their franchise operations in a number of states across the country.
Franchise law is a very complex area of the law that involves a number of different legal specialties, including corporate and business law, contracts, real estate law, state and federal regulatory compliance, and intellectual property. It is not uncommon for attorneys with little or no experience in franchise law to try to represent their clients in this area. However, it is important that your franchise attorney be experienced in all of these areas so that they can properly advise you on your best options for efficiently and effectively growing your business through franchising.
I have this specialized experience and will work hard to help you grow your business through franchising, whether you are a franchisor or a franchisee. I bring an interdisciplinary approach to franchise law, drawing on my experience in business and corporate law, real estate law, contracts, and litigation to provide my clients with comprehensive legal representation in franchise law matters.Franchise Law Services for Franchisees
My franchise law services for franchisees include:
- Evaluation and advice regarding the legal aspects of a possible franchise opportunity.
- Review and evaluation of a potential franchisor’s franchise disclosure documents, franchise registration papers, franchise agreements, and trademark registrations and licenses. I generally provide this service on a flat fee basis. My flat fee includes (a) an initial conference with the client so I can understand their goals, objectives, and concerns; (b) a thorough review of the franchise documents; (c) a detailed written memo containing my analysis; and (d) a final conference with the client to review any questions or concerns about my memo or any other franchise issues they may wish to discuss.
- Advice and representation for selecting and forming the appropriate business entities for operating a franchised business.
- Review and negotiation of franchise agreements, real estate leases, and other start-up business contracts and agreements.
- Practical employment law counsel to help franchisees protect their business interests and meet their obligations under state and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Representing franchisees in litigation, arbitration, and mediation to enforce their rights and protect their investment.
My franchise law services for franchisors include:
- Helping new franchisors with the legal aspects of developing and structuring franchise systems and programs that advance their business goals. During this stage of representation, I help my clients to develop legal documents and franchise agreements that will support start-up franchise systems through the early growth stages and beyond.
- Working with franchisors to develop their brands and marketing presence by helping them to secure their valuable intellectual property through the appropriate trademark registrations and licenses.
- Assisting franchisors with the preparation and filing of franchise disclosure documents (FDD’s) and other state registration papers.
- Advising franchisors on the sound development and management of the ever crucial relationships with franchisees, suppliers, competitors, and vendors.
- Helping franchisors prevent and manage disputes with franchisees and other key parties in a franchise system.
- Representing franchisors in litigation, arbitration, and mediation to protect and enforce their rights and the valuable intellectual property that comprises a successful franchise system.
Whether representing a franchisor or franchisee, my goal is to help my Michigan franchise law clients succeed to the greatest extent possible. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information on any of the franchise law services I provide.