A Michigan Attorney Dedicated to Helping Clients Solve Their Legal Issues
I am a Michigan attorney and focus my practice on representing clients in the following cases:
- Civil Litigation
- Business and Contract Disputes
- Divorce and Family Law
- Employment Law
- Business and Real Estate Transactions
Admitted to the State Bar of Michigan in 2000, I have 18 years of experience in helping clients with many different legal matters. I have represented clients throughout the State of Michigan during my career. My clients have included individuals, small businesses, large companies, and even large international law firms that needed assistance with local Michigan cases.Litigation Cases
As a Michigan litigation attorney, a large part of my practice is devoted to representing clients in Michigan civil litigation cases. My civil litigation cases include general business and commercial disputes, breach of contract cases, business torts, trade secret and non-compete litigation, temporary and preliminary injunction proceedings, Michigan sales commission disputes, collection cases, employment law cases, real estate disputes, probate litigation, and many other kinds of legal disputes.
I represent litigation clients primarily in the Metro Detroit area, and am very familiar with the Circuit Courts in Oakland, Wayne, Macomb, and Washtenaw Counties. In addition, I regularly represent clients in the specialized Michigan business court dockets in Oakland, Wayne, and Macomb Counties. I also have significant experience representing clients in both the Eastern and Western Federal District Courts in Michigan, as well as in the Federal Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati, Ohio.Family Law Cases
I also represent clients in family law and divorce cases in Oakland County, Macomb County, and Wayne County. These types of cases are often very difficult and emotional for clients, and understandably so given the stakes involved.
Michigan is a no-fault divorce state, which means that you do not need good cause or agreement from your spouse to obtain a divorce in Michigan. All you need to do is allege in your divorce complaint that there has been a breakdown in the marriage relationship to the extent that the "objects of matrimony" have been destroyed and there remains no reasonable likelihood that the marriage can be preserved.
Michigan also follows the "equitable division" rule for dividing marital property and debts. This usually means that assets and debts are divided on a roughly even basis between marriage partners, but in certain situations a court does have the authority to divide marital property and debt in a way that the court believes is equitable under the circumstances.
Child custody issues can also be very contentious in Michigan divorce cases. Michigan family law is designed to favor the best interests of a child whose parents are divorcing. Any custody agreement between parents must be approved by the court in line with certain factors that are prescribed by Michigan law.
I work closely with my family law clients to set realistic expectations for their case, give them the information they need to make informed decisions, and execute a sound legal strategy to protect their legal rights and secure their family's future.Employment Law Cases
As a Michigan employment lawyer, I help clients solve difficult workplace disputes. I represent individuals who experience discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge or termination, and other types of adverse employment actions. I have worked with a wide variety of individual clients, including professionals and blue collar workers.
Employment law is a complicated mesh of state and federal statutes and regulations, and as well as court decisions from around the State of Michigan and U.S. The law is constantly changing and evolving, which is why it is so important that anyone who is experiencing any kind of workplace dispute consults with a competent Michigan employment lawyer to make sure they fully understand and preserve their rights.
In addition to working with individual clients, I also work with Michigan businesses and their owners to prevent and resolve employment law disputes. When working with businesses, I encourage my clients to take a proactive approach, by developing and implementing the appropriate policies and procedures that can reduce or even prevent difficult employment disputes in the first place.
One of the most important aspects of this preventative approach for business clients is the preparation of a solid employee or personnel handbook that fully complies with all state and federal legal requirements. If these steps do not prevent an employment law dispute, I provide legal representation to business clients to resolve these types of cases.Business Law Cases
As a Michigan business attorney, I provide legal representation to clients in a wide variety of business law cases.
I represent business start-ups in the beginning stages of their ventures, and help them resolve all kinds of legal issues related to growing a business. For example, I help business clients set up Michigan corporations and limited liability companies (LLC's) and provide them with guidance through the often confusing maze of issues faced when starting a business in Michigan.
I also offer legal services to established business clients. I counsel business clients on general contract issues, employment law matters, non-compete agreements, franchise matters, real estate purchases, leases and contracts, as well as many other kinds of business transactions and agreements.
My goal in representing clients in business law cases is to help them facilitate and achieve their goals on the best terms and in the most cost effective manner possible under the circumstances.Real Estate Law
As a Michigan real estate attorney, I help clients with a wide variety of real estate law cases. These cases may involve the sale or purchase of residential and commercial property, residential and commercial leases, easements, licenses, review of residential and commercial loan documents, land contracts, boundary disputes, zoning issues, nuisance cases, and adverse possession claims.
Michigan real estate law is a very technical area of the law, with roots stretching back all the way to medieval England and beyond. Many people do not fully appreciate how important it is to work with a competent Michigan real estate attorney when engaging in a Michigan real estate transaction. Even what seems like a relatively simply residential transaction can involve numerous difficult legal issues that need to be proactively addressed in order to avoid future problems or legal issues.
When working with Michigan real estate law clients, I focus my efforts on providing practical and efficient service and solutions so that my clients can complete their transaction with a minimum of legal hassle and cost. In situations where a real estate issue blossoms into a dispute, I provide my clients with aggressive representation, both in and out of court, to achieve the best results possible under the circumstances.Focused on Helping Clients Achieve Their Goals
As a Michigan attorney, I understand that clients come to me to help them solve their problems and get results. I seek to provide each of my clients with the highest quality, specialized representation possible. Although I can never guarantee a particular outcome, I focus all of my efforts on working with my clients to achieve the best results possible under the circumstances.Explore My Website or Contact Me for More Information
Please feel free to explore the links above to see how I can help you with your legal needs. Also, please feel free to contact me by telephone or email if you have any questions about my law practice or would like any additional information on how I can help you with your legal needs.
- Michael J. Hamblin Named a 2017 Super Lawyer for Business Litigation
- Michael J. Hamblin Named a 2016 Super Lawyer for Business Litigation
- Michael J. Hamblin Named a 2015 Super Lawyer for Business Litigation
- Michael J. Hamblin Serves as Panelist for Franchise Law Seminar at Cooley Law School
- Michael J. Hamblin Serves as Co-Captain for 2015 Oakland County Circuit Court Bench/Bar Conference
- Michael J. Hamblin Serves as Judge for First Year Moot Court Program at Wayne State University Law School
- Michael J. Hamblin Named a 2014 Top Michigan Attorney by Crain's Detroit Business and Hour Detroit Magazine
- Michael J. Hamblin Co-Presents "Immigration Consequences of Criminal Convictions” at the Oakland County Bar Association, Inns of Court
- Michael J. Hamblin Speaks at National Business Institute Seminar in Toledo, Ohio on Legal Issues for Nonprofit Organizations
- Michael J. Hamblin Named a 2014 Super Lawyer for Business Litigation
- Michael J. Hamblin Appointed Chair of the Oakland County Bar Association Employment Law Committee
- Michael J. Hamblin Is Featured Source for "Use Medical Content to Attract Traffic to Your Website, Patients to Your Practice," in Part B News
- Michael J. Hamblin Co-Presents "Electronic Discovery Issues” at the Oakland County Bar Association, Inns of Court
- Michael J. Hamblin Serves as Panelist for Annual Oakland County Bar Association’s OCBABC’s of Practice Seminar Series: “You Have a Law Degree, Now What?”
- Michael J. Hamblin Admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court Bar
- Michael J. Hamblin Gives Seminar on Nonprofit Organizations at the ASI National Convention in Orlando, Florida
- Michael J. Hamblin Appointed Vice Chair of the Oakland County Bar Association Employment Law Committee
- Michael J. Hamblin Speaks at National Business Institute Seminar in Southfield, Michigan on "Tax Exempt Organizations from Start to Finish"
- Michael J. Hamblin Is Featured Source for “Protect Your Practice – Carefully – Against Negative Online Reviews,” in Part B News
- Michael J. Hamblin Serves as Panelist for Oakland County Bar Association’s OCBABC’s of Practice Seminar Series: “You Have a Law Degree, Now What?”